We are looking for a part-time Audio Producer to help consolidate, develop and expand Novara Media’s podcasts.
Our aim is to create, commission and publish the best political coverage and analysis in the anglophone world. We’re searching for a producer to work closely with Chal Ravens, who heads our audio section, to develop new and existing podcast products that can provide unique value to new audiences in a crowded podcast market. The role will also involve searching for new talent and commissioning new formats – as well as detailed work in finding and bringing new stories and ideas to air.
Our ideal candidate will have well-established skills in audio journalism, and share Novara Media’s vision of high-quality, politically committed thinking and analysis. They should be an avid podcast listener who understands what makes podcasts successful and how to tell stories or approach an idea in a new way. They should also have a deep interest in radio and podcast production – even feeling comfortable enough to jump in front of a microphone if needed.
This is an exciting role for the right individual, offering the opportunity to balance creative flair and political commitment, varied topics of work, and the satisfaction of delivering innovative and important shows. There is also the potential to expand the role to full-time.
We support remote working where appropriate, but require that applicants for this role are available to work half of their hours in Novara Media’s Bermondsey offices.
We particularly encourage women and BAME applicants.
- Audio editing and production, including but not limited to packages, shareables and podcasts.
- Ensuring high quality sound recording and technical assistance to staff.
- Audio reporting and the generation of news-cycle audio content.
- Presenting audio content as necessary.
- Commissioning and developing original audio products.
- Liaising with staff and associated contributors to manage the production of podcasts from conception to publication.
- Audio feed and archive management.
- Rights management as required.
- Social media posting.
- Reporting to the Head of Audio and attending meetings as required.
- Adhering to the Editorial Standards Code and ensuring the compliance of audio content.
Other responsibilities include general research and administrative duties as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent audio production skills, including: studio and field recording, editing in Adobe Audition, Hindenburg Pro or similar, soundbeds, repackaging audio for different formats.
- Audiojournalism experience, and an interest in news/current affairs as well as politics and culture more widely.
- Audio presenting experience. (Desirable.)
- A sense of curiosity about audio media and an interest in innovative podcast and radio formats.
- Experience of commissioning high quality content for publication.
- Feed management, archive and CMS (WordPress) skills.
- A high level of personal organisation.
- A keenness to develop the role as Novara Media grows.
- Commitment to the aims and values of Novara Media.
Reports to: Head of Audio
Hours: 24 hours per week
Pay: £22,464 per annum (actual), based on £18/h (NM flat living wage*)
Applicants should prepare a CV, relevant portfolio, and a supporting statement of up to 400 words explaining why they’re a great hire for this role, and for Novara Media. The supporting statement should include three sentences outlining a podcast you would love to hear on Novara Media and why.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews to be held at the Novara Media offices in Bermondsey in the week commencing 2 May.
*Novara Media has a flat pay structure, meaning all employees are paid the same hourly rate and pay rises occur uniformly across the organisation.
Send your application in a single email to [email protected] with AUDIO PRODUCER in the subject line.
Closing date: 24 April 2022