This is a fixed-term role for eight months from January 2022 during which you will cover the six-month sabbatical of our current Head of Video. The sabbatical runs from February to July (inclusive) and we require a month of handover either side.
Novara Media is one of the fastest-growing media organisations working towards radical social change. As acting Head of Video, you will manage seven staff members, as well as a roster of freelancers, and you will work alongside the wider Novara team.
You will be responsible for the strategic and creative priorities of the section, as well as overseeing all stages of the creative process for our various content streams. The successful candidate will be someone with lots of ideas, excellent technical skills, an understanding of social media video and an ambition to help us publish the best news and politics content in the world.
We particularly encourage women and BAME applicants.
- Provide ultimate oversight for the video section.
- Oversee all video productions (including livestreams, social content and explainer videos).
- Monitor KPIs and analytics, utilising data to improve content.
- Actively generate video ideas, both independently and in collaboration with editors.
- Field and commission external pitches.
- Approach guests, talent and contributors.
- Produce, shoot and edit content where needed.
- Direct and supervise personnel within the section.
- Quality control and troubleshooting.
- Ensure compliance with the Editorial Standards Code.
- Ensure the maintenance and safety of NM’s equipment.
- Meet regularly with the wider Novara team to coordinate and communicate objectives.
- Line managing the video team, with the support of HR.
- Liase with and advise the social media team.
- Develop ideas and vision for long term section growth.
- Team development (in coordination with Operations and HR).
- Participate in hiring processes when needed.
- Procure, maintain and replace production equipment.
- Attending operational meetings as required by the Head of Operations.
*These responsibilities are typically commensurate with the role of Head of Video, but as this is a cover position they may vary in practice.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A strong self-shooter.
- A master of the Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Premiere Pro + After Effects).
- Experienced in all stages of the video production process.
- Experienced in livestreaming (Vmix, Wirecast or similiar).
- Technically minded.
- From a journalism/broadcast background.
- An expert at social media video.
- An excellent communicator.
- Comfortable directing and coaching talent.
- Experienced with editing scripts.
- Well-organised, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Able to juggle different projects and to delegate where appropriate.
- Committed to the aims and values of Novara Media.
- Confident copywriting.
- Commissioning experience.
- Line management experience.
- Legal experience.
Location: London (work is flexible but primarily office-based)
Hours: 32 hours per week, preferably split over five days.
Contract: Fixed-term (sabbatical cover) for eight months (Jan-Aug 2022 inclusive).
Pay: £27,456pa (based on the NM flat living wage, currently £16.50/hour*).
*Novara Media has a flat pay structure, meaning all employees are paid the same hourly rate and pay rises occur uniformly across the organisation.
To apply, please send your CV and a supporting statement (400 words) telling us why you think you would be a great fit for the role.
Send your application in a single email to [email protected] with HEAD OF VIDEO - SABBATICAL COVER in the subject line.
Closing date: 26 November 2021