Novara Media (NM) is looking to work with a freelance Labour Movement Correspondent, on a six-month retainer, to lead on its coverage of trade unions, industrial disputes and work.
The Labour Movement Correspondent will produce deep, sustained and meaningful analysis of industrial politics both in Britain and internationally. Their task will be to help our audience understand not just how disputes are won and lost, but the mechanisms by which trade unions operate, the role they play in the wider political landscape, their importance to the left and the ways in which they often fail. They will be expected to deliver one article a week from July to December 2022, alongside potential podcast and/or video content, such as appearing on our live news commentary show #TyskySour.
The successful candidate will be an experienced writer and reporter with a good understanding of British industrial relations and a drive to tell the stories of working people. We particularly encourage women, disabled and BAME applicants.
This assignment will be funded and supported by the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung London Office (RLS).
- Delivering high-quality, original reporting and analysis pieces on labour movements, trade unions and industrial disputes in both Britain and beyond
- Building relationships with trade union organisers
- Liaising with NM and RLS about content ideas
- Producing or presenting additional video and/or audio content (training provided)
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent writing and reporting skills
- A deep and critical understanding of the UK labour movement and trade unions
- A commitment to NM’s aims and values
- Ambitions to be an established labour journalist
Additional desirables include:
- Some AV recording and presenting experience
- Photography skills
Location: Anywhere in the UK, but with the ability to travel for reporting purposes.
Reports to: Head of Articles
Timeframe: July-December 2022
Hours: Approx. 16 hours per week
Pay: £300 per piece, based on the NM’s freelance day rate of £150 per day and on the assumption that each piece should take an average of two days to complete. Pieces that take longer than two days to write will receive a supplementary fee (agreed in advance with the Head of Articles). Travel costs and expenses will also be reimbursed.
To apply, please send your CV and a short supporting statement (400 words) telling us why you think you would be a great fit for the assignment.
Send your application in a single email to [email protected] with NM-RLS LABOUR MOVEMENT CORRESPONDENT (FREELANCE) in the subject line.
Closing date: 6 June 2022