We are seeking a full-time researcher to join our video team. You will principally be assisting the hosts of TyskySour to source, prepare and script stories.
Novara Media is one of the fastest-growing media organisations working towards radical social change. TyskySour is a unique product within British independent media: a hosted news and politics discussion show with a rotation of co-hosts and featured guests, it currently broadcasts live three nights a week but our ambition is that filling this role will help us expand the show to five nights a week.
The ideal candidate will have a flair for identifying stories that can captivate and challenge our audience, as well as acquire new viewers for the show. They will also have an ability to write crisp and clear copy, and have a drive for communicating complex stories in an engaging and entertaining way.
TyskySour is already a fast-growing and influential source of leftwing news, and we look forward to bringing on a researcher with new ideas and perspectives they can bring to the team.
The successful candidate will be in London or within commuting distance of our Bermondsey offices.
We particularly encourage women, disabled and BAME applicants.
- Regularly monitor news and generate ideas for shows and segments.
- Attend editorial meetings, pitching story/topic/guest ideas.
- Collaborate with the wider Novara Media team to bring stories into the show.
- Research and develop scripts for segments in collaboration with the host and the production team.
- Support the fact-checking process.
- Adhere to the Editorial Standards Code.
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A news junkie with a broad knowledge of leftwing politics.
- Experienced in writing for speech.
- Able to work to a deadline and calm under pressure.
- Experienced in writing and editing clear and engaging copy.
- Comfortable with flexible working hours including regular evening work.
- Well-organised, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Committed to the aims and values of NM.
- Experience in an online broadcast environment.
- Versed in media law.
- NCTJ or equivalent.
- On-camera experience.
Location: The successful candidate will be required to work in our London studio most of the time.
Reports to: Head of Video
Hours: 32 hours per week, split over five days.
Pay: £27,456pa (based on the NM flat living wage, currently £16.50/hour*).
*Novara Media has a flat pay structure, meaning all employees are paid the same hourly rate and pay rises occur uniformly across the organisation.
To apply, please send your CV and a short supporting statement (400 words) telling us what you think about our current news broadcast operation, including ideas for how we might improve it.
Send your application in a single email to [email protected] with RESEARCHER (TYSKYSOUR) in the subject line.
Closing date: 12 November 2021